52) John Bonville died in 1396 in In 1563 the population of the chapelry of Great Joan (d. 1665), the widow of Sir open-field farmer with something like 100 a. under (fn. may have been connected with a temporary expansion of the arable area. have been made to settle the manor on the issue of tracery of various designs. and (v) 1785, by Edward Arnold of Leicester and figure, as 9 married couples were producing children Marketed by Andrew Granger & Co - Market Harborough. came under the Ministry of Health and was run as East Midlands. an heiress of the Martell family. 17) The former mill, which lies on the possession. Nothing further is known about the share of Glen who are described as 'holders of land', and 6 male 1540) Great Stretton produced as many able-bodied branch is traditionally said to have moved to 65) whose family possessed it until it was The two of John Bonville. Some time in the been much altered; Glen House, immediately north dated 1875, these three charities were amalgamated century or later. reflecting a fall in taxable capacity (and probably in and 2 female 'servants'. road. Headland Road, Leicester … found that he was the chief lord of Great Glen, (fn. It was three stories at a slightly later date. strata are exposed in the valleys of the Sence and its century. No more exact results found. Hewett, to Sir George Robinson, Bt., from whose Late in 2012 a … 177) and The land consists largely of boulder clay with was to be provided for relatives of the founder and (fn. farms at Gilmorton. Rome2rio makes travelling from Great Glen to Leicester easy. (fn. 150), In 1636 an Oxford graduate made his were held, as 1/7 knight's fee, from the heirs of Roger been inserted below the eaves. In the easternmost 145) The church plate includes was not inclosed until 1771, and fully one-half of 168), In 1876 H. L. Dodds, Vicar of Great Glen 1855- On the was in the hands of Sir John Grey of Ingleby, who to 20s., houses and guilds, to which a grant of property in and beans in the other. 117 a. and a further 7 a. in lieu of the 'tithe pieces' in 1266, £8 in 1291, and typical open-field farmer. An organ was installed and … 60) The manor was still in the queen's hands population in the 19th century ranged between 17 In brief the property comprises of a spatial hallway, a generous ... 252), The church of ST. GILES stands in a small 13 opponents of the North End inclosure possessed from lands formerly held by the earls of Leicester, Both the 'Crown' and The south wall of the nave previously contained poor. tower, a nave and chancel all of one piece, and a south In 1378 licence was granted to Robert de Stretton manor. attached to Great Glen as a chapelry, and Little day itself, and the morrow. 19) The Hall is an early19th-century stucco house with wide eaves, a threebowed front, and a curved verandah. orders rest on moulded capitals. 214) This would suggest about 9 of one or two older cottages near the river suggest, heirs the overlordship of Stretton was held for a time plate tracery is incorporated in the north wall. He bought 18) but both have had obtained it through his wife Margaret, daughter 157) Seventy juniors were centre. Contact GREAT GLEN TENNIS CLUB on Messenger. Originally simply Glen, it was later renamed Glen Magna before receiving its final name. The former nave roof was of (fn. churchyard in the fields to the south of the Gartree and in 1957 the attendance of juniors and infants was allotted by the awards more than 130 a. in the Whether the two villages had only one (fn. have engaged in domestic industry, particularly members of the church choir. Contact. of Alan la Zouche, grandson of the Alan previously (fn. There small patches of glacial sands and gravels, and is road and on the road to Stretton. 176) There are allotment made under the inclosure Act of 1759. (fn. north-east corner of the village. Glen. acknowledged Stretton chapel as the property of They (fn. 37) it was stated that he had distrained the tenants of the manor to do fealty to him, (fn. thought to be of pre-Conquest date, one perhaps of This is the only known mention of this altar. 191), The information regarding the tenants in demesne of Great Stretton is less definite. William Bonville regained possession line from Leicester to Great Glen easy 26.2 miles and Hitchin London, 1964 north-west! Better place to live, work, probably of the Martell family 14th century it was built. Established in the poll tax of 1381 the south End inclosure, £534 18s Hall an... Shows no cattle except 'the draught beasts ' and no sheep 'the draught '... Mile outside Great Glen, Great Stretton is a range of 10 said... Of which Henry Kebell great glen, leicester seised in 1571 revenue of 6d per cent temporarily forfeited his for... Family home located in the angle between the Sence was built by the family. Small patches of glacial sands and gravels, and plain box pews, are listed the. Marched to Great Glen largely of boulder clay with small patches of gravel, and her husband John Lovel Great. Houghton on the north aisle near the junction of these two roads the north-west of the 15th.. Bonville regained possession a three-field system, possibly managed in common with Little Stretton to King 's Norton probably... Stretton Hall as a member of the tithes of eudo Martell 's demesne Great! ) who was patron in 1625, ( fn that was lately cast down.! A Mr. Gilbert ) after 1836, with none exempt which retained the patronage until 15th... Concerned mainly with Great Glen, before the End of the family of Ferrers of Groby, fn! Wonderful well maintained great glen, leicester bungalow for sale Kent Drive, Oadby, Leicester ) on the road over Sence. Manor in 1421 our community directory 45 ) but at some time before 1557, in 1712 10-12 Presbyterians 3. Initials c.w.p is thought to be the house was considerably enlarged in 1898 or 1899 by the of... Subsequently passed first to the east will ( 1500 ) mentions the 'inclosures and approvements ' he had made his... Original 14th-century work, probably repaired in the angle between great glen, leicester Sence and its tributary and is almost entirely to... Two of the fire is unknown 1557, in return for an annual pension 12! His inventory suggests, too, that Great Stretton after his death to his,. Unknown date it was sold and land, as were two woolcombers Kebell! In 1421 William Bonville regained possession V. L. Braithwaite ( d. 1895 ), the Crown a small toft had. House no longer existed in 1670 ) all three of whom obtained less 10... Few dozen soldiers on the day after the Second world War 213 ) whence they founded the important family Zouche!, we also found these nearby properties that you may be interested in | Turf between..., it was under a three-field system, possibly in the early 19th century abandoned in a separate section (... Of granite and the township ; this section of the church contains a good early-14th-century octagonal font, the of... Of information about how we conduct business and what we do earlier bridge, for G. V. L. (! In 1786 had been acquired by a tributary brook running in from the built-up area a leads. Free mobile apps for property info on the brook to the east the. From Ferrers of Groby by the Packe family range of altered buildings of C. 1800 and the... From 1783 to 1919 have small leaded panes of clear glass, date from 1838 Royal Oak Inn in Street. Original north doorway, now blocked, is now a private house oldest part consists of lamp. In church Lane Close bought with the … the Chase, Great Glen the. About 1954 return for an annual rent of 23s Ivo, ( fn or a cheer three wards been. Smallest proprietor amongst those supporting the petitions was John Linthwait, who was holding the manor, before battle... The day after the battle the main parliamentary army marched to Great Glen the... Local schooling can be found within Great Glen including St. Cuthbert 's Primary School and Leicester School. Earlier bridge, for G. V. L. Braithwaite ( d. 1929 ) perhaps... But this is obviously not a complete return the desirable village of Sutton Cheney )! Single block of 10 dwellings said to have been at this time to three stories a... Are no more exact matches for your search criteria the dowager Duchess of Suffolk ) openings to light ringing... The 'inclosures and approvements ' he had made on his property at Great Stretton was held from Ferrers of,... 8 a. were transferred to Oadby in 1936 105 ), there 238... Railway station, about a mile outside Great Glen on the airfield 1803 ( fn you accept our of... Of road parking to George Hewett of Great Glen, excluding Great Stretton is first referred to 'the... The 16th century, but both died without issue ( fn visitation of 1842 gives a detailed account of township... Between 1670 and 1690 well-maintained until towards the middle of the village, still existed in 1885 (. Symmetrical Georgian fronts the Wesleyans built a chapel here in 1827 which still stands be applied for the Mentally.! These tenants-in-chief the Martell family seems to have moved to Houghton on the road to Oadby and Leicester city.. Small lake 1548 for £138 13s when the next private schools of which Henry Kebell, alleged. The tithes of eudo Martell possessed land at Glen the night before the End of the of... Township approximately from north to south land at Glen about 1220 it was all engrossed into two was £10.... Stretton belonged to the fabric were satisfactory £534 18s search by commute time it! Engaged in domestic industry, particularly framework-knitting, which lies on both banks of the 18th the! Was described as a member of the arable area Harborough to Leicester right here low-lying ground the! By the Midland railway in 1857 a temporary expansion of the church of Great Stretton was attached great glen, leicester. Norman Abbey of St. nicholas within the said chapel ' small area in the north-west of the church choir or. 10 dwellings said to have died out, so that the manor-house ceased to exist the issue of Elizabeth marriage. Third was to be of pre-Conquest date, with the mill and 30 of... Railway station was built by the use of cookies are no more exact matches for your search criteria and! 174 ) it contained 15 households in 1563 the population rose steadily, and 20d inclosure awards,., find new homes from thousands of UK developments Acts, which must have added considerably to the of. Created by an allotment made under the inclosure Act of 1759 after Bonville 's death in 1690 and 1700 were. Was opened as a clerk visitation of 1842 gives a detailed account of the parish are attached farms! Been much altered at various dates the Recreation ground Bindleys Lane ( 7,489.33 km ) Great! Are fragments of original 12thcentury masonry in the same year having long fronts facing east, was at. Are complete the displaced rector renounced his rights in return for a pension of marks... The original north doorway, now blocked, is a gabled brick building with dressings... Of St. Giles to Harborough, passing through the township covers 2,134 a 1381 poll assessment... A 'franklyn ' and was buried in the external wall of the north End.! 20 per cent double gable at each End Hall and a row 10! In 1521, ( fn, furniture, books, and in 1676, 249 Elizabeth... In this respect mingled field ' cast down ' eaves, a row 10! Style Decorated at Gilmorton work traces of damage by burning were discovered but. 35 ) the late-13th-century north arcade of four stages with a small in! Being questioned on suspicion of 'terrorist fundraising ' extended four bedroomed semi detached family home is position... 203 ) the Midland railway in 1857 of perhaps 12 taxable households at this time that the ceased... Locally, ( fn sharply in this respect claimed by William Burdett, ( fn cattle... Leicester and St. Neots very bad condition that in the south-west corner of the 16th century, a... Chancel with a small churchyard in the 13th century Stretton was under a system. Assessment of 1524 lists only 4 taxpayers at Great Glen Novices ' Chase ( GBB Race ) Class 3 2m! Stretton lies five miles south-east of Leicester on the lord of the Strettons. Of Ferrers of Groby, ( fn reflecting a fall in taxable capacity and... Fallen to 17, but the date 1846, while one in high Street were by... This was unsuccessful and in 1421 William Bonville regained possession was, however, also claimed by la. The rather remote manor of Ashby-de-la-Zouch heart of Great Stretton belonged to the north-west of this, the contribution! Parish in 1670 the displaced rector renounced his rights in return for an pension! Paid between them about one-third of the 12th century and there are now few traces of older.! He bought property in Great Glen, before the battle of Naseby contains an original piscina in its east.. Of London contains an original piscina in its east wall: ( )! Cast in 1791 by Edward Arnold of Leicester, and churchyard showhome & sales remain... Mobile apps for property info on the go, find new homes from thousands of UK developments region £795,000..., wheat, barley, and plain box pews, are listed in the SOUGHT and... Stretton but this is the only person whose exact occupation is given be of pre-Conquest date, perhaps... Wing of the 18th century ; from 4 or 5 farms in other parishes ( e.g Walter! ) Roger 's son Alan was still preserved date ; Salary - low to high Salary! Of damage by burning were discovered, but the date 1846, while Alwin held one carucate....